Moss hung oaks and grand southern homes rich in history line the streets of the Historic Landmark District in Beaufort, SC.. One of the finest and most notable homes is the Milton Maxcy House also referred to as Secession House. The home was originally built by Milton Maxcy, circa 1810, as a school for boys. In the 1840's Edmund Rhett,brother of U.S. Senator Robert Barnwell Rhett purchased the home. The first meeting in favor of secession from the Union took place in the Milton Maxcy Home. During the Civil War, the home served many purposes from officers' quarters, a hospital and as a Pay Master's Station for Union Troops. Edmund Rhett completely remodeled the home in a Greek Revival architectural style. **See More**
Listing courtesy of BHHS Bay Street Realty.